PAVMAX is easy to apply and requires no special equipment or application procedures. It can be used with recycle machines or applied with regular road building machines. PAVMAX should be used with soils that contain approximately 20% cohesive fines. It is mixed with water used for compaction during normal road building techniques. A typical application to stabilize a 6-inch existing or new road base is given below.
1. If the existing road bed is too hard to blade, scarify to the required depth. Usually do this dry for better traction.
2. Add 1 gallon of PAVMAX concentrate to the required amount of water needed to bring 165 cubic yards of material up to optimum moisture. The amount of water-needed will depend on how wet or dry your material is. A general starting rule for dry material is 1 gallon to 1,000 gallons water. With top loading water tanks – always fill tank with water first, then add PAVMAX . Failure to do this will result in a tank full of foam.
3. Spray PAVMAX water solution over road surface and start blade mixing. Continue adding PAVMAX and water while mixing until required amount of PAVMAX is distributed evenly throughout the material. During this time you should learn if PAVMAX to water ratio should be changed. 15 gallons PAVMAX will treat 1 mile 25 feet wide, 6 inches deep. If you misjudge the water and get it too wet, blade to dry. If too dry, add plain water. After thoroughly mixing, leave the soil material in a windrow overnight to promote total moisture absorption. We recommend this whenever possible for better compaction results with less effort.
4. If the road base is dry the next morning, or after material is thoroughly mixed and ready to lay, spray the surface with a PAVMAX water mixture of 1 gallon to 10,000. (Approximately 1 pint to 1,200 gallon) before you pull it out of the windrow. Always start to lay material on a damp floor. Pull material out and lay in 2 or 3 inch lifts and start compaction immediately. In sub-base fill, or pond areas, a sheep foot works fine, but usually a steel or pneumatic works best for finished roads. Continue compacting while you shape and dress the surface with a blade. Be sure to crown the surface to promote water drainage. Even while laying and compacting, if your material dries too fast on a hot day, a light mist of PAVMAX treated water (1 – 10,000 gallon) can be applied. Continue to compact until desired density is reached. Vibratory rollers may be used, but turn the vibrator off when finishing so that no fracturing occurs. The road is now ready for use. If you foresee heavy, high-speed traffic, involving spinning or skidding wheels, you might consider closing the road until material has had a chance to cure 2 or 3 days. Normal traffic will not harm it.
5. If an asphalt or other permanent wearing surface is to be added, a better bond can be obtained by moistening the surface with a spray of PAVMAX and water solution (1- 10,000 gallon). This permanent surface can be applied any time after a 3 to 5 day curing period under ideal weather conditions.
New Pond Construction
Add PAVMAX to water used to compact soils containing approximately 25 – 30% cohesive, colloidal fines (200 mesh). Blade or disc the soil to blend in the PAVMAX and water, grade and shape, then compact at optimum moisture using a compactor, tractor or truck. Generally the top 10 – 12 inches is treated for most ponds.
When pond is filled with water and less than 8 feet in depth, use one gallon of PAVMAX for every 6,000 square feet of surface area (or 8 gallon per surface acre). Pour PAVMAX into the water from windward side and around perimeter, or across the surface if a boat or pump can be used. Stir up silt from the bottom of the pond any way possible dragging chains sometimes works. Fines placed into suspension together with PAVMAX will then migrate to seepage areas. Do not add water for 3 days. PAVMAX disperses clay and colloidal materials into the voids between each grain of soil and causes a catalytic bonding process, creating a strong, tightly compacted stratum that resists water penetration. Success with this method will depend on the soil composition of your pond. If loss by seepage does not stop within 10 to 14 days, you can let the pond dry and re-treat using new pond construction method, or consult your dealer for other options.
PAVMAX will not harm fish life if used properly.
PAVMAX is effective in sealing soils in ponds.